Thursday, April 05, 2007

Life is Not a Bumper Sticker

As Mark Steyn wrote in one of his Op. Eds.

update... that link is outdated, but there's a copy of the article on this guy's blog. Oh, and here, too.

I decided his idea was too good to pass up. I never was a bumper sticker fan. I see cars with their whole rear ends plastered with them like they'd been hit by a bumper sticker shotgun -- and ususally these bumper stickers list a whole bunch of platitudes about peace and military funding and litanies of anti-western sentiment. I consider them, in general, an exercise in narcisism.

In the article, he points this out in passing, refering to the the now omnipresent "COEXIST" sticker that apparently makes these people feel so good about themselves.

On the other hand, I have often felt the urge to counter the barage of fantasy-world sayings and let it be known that there are, in fact, many, many of their neighbors who disagree with them. Most of us aren't the bumper sticker type. But I'll only put one bumper sticker on my car at a time. That's my rule. My first was the "I'd rather hunt with Dick Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy" bumper sticker. It was replaced briefly with one for my local Republican U.S. Senator Talent, and after the election I got a new one... "Right Wing Extremists".

But it's about time to change that one out -- and I really like Steyn's idea. So I'm having one made at Makestickers.Com.




No comments: