Monday, March 14, 2005

These Colors Don't Run...

I saw a bumper sticker the other day. It was similar to the somewhat trite "These Colors Don't Run" bumper stickers.

Now I'm not a "My Country, Right or Wrong" kind of person. But there is a group of people out there that thinks that "My Country" is wrong no matter what it does, and they label anyone who disagrees with their position as a "My Country, Right or Wrong Flag Waver" in that, "You can't possibly have a good point if you don't agree with me" sort of way.

Still, I'm not a proud guy or a braggart. So the "These Colors Don't Run" sticker isn't my gig.

However, this new bumper sticker said ...

These colors don't run
... the world.
And I got to thinking about that. I was thinking about where that catchy, simplistic lollipop-liberal phrase came from (not that I have an opinion or anything) -- and a question emerged from the swirling mists of my thoughts...

Whose colors do you want to run the world?

I'm pretty sure the answer would either be "nobody's" or "a mutal agreement of all the countries in the world".... which in the end boils down to the United Nations -- or No One.

Here's the bottom line of this train of thought... it is a fantasy to think that "No One" can "run the world" (which basically means "use force to make things as they think they ought to be")

This amounts to a law. Who will enforce the law? When somebody goes to break it (and break it someone will) -- who stops and/or punishes the lawbreaker, and how?

So we're back to the question... whose colors do you want to run... the world?

We're far from perfect, but name one country that would be more fair, more open to criticism from the inside.

Hello, darkness, my old friend....

If the world agrees that force is always bad, the world will be run by those who are willing to ignore that agreement... it could be governments, but it could also be, amd more likely be in this day and age - terrorist.

Oh, I know, if we didn't use force there wouldn't be any terrorists. Bull puckey! As long as there are haves and have-nots (and there always have been, there always will be) and as long as there are people on the planet who feel it is their job to enforce God's/Allah's/Yahweh's will to their standards, there will be people willing to wage war. If the rest of us are not willing to wage it back, we might as well hold our hands out for the shackles right now.

No comments: