Sunday, May 30, 2010

They Call Me the Thinker

They call me The Thinker
I've been thinkin' low and high
It's my job to keep on thinkin'
Til the day I die


Good article pointing to an even better article telling us what Obama thinks his job is.
My job right now is just to make sure that everybody in the Gulf understands this is what I wake up to in the morning and this is what I go to bed at night thinking about: the spill.

I went to a party last night where a well-quaffed Miami Vice lookin' dude basically said the same thing; that he lays awake at night thinking about the spill. I don't. There's nothing I can do about it, and the people who can do something about it are laying awake at night, and working through the night -- to figure it out.

Me, yeah, I hate the spill, and I'm stunned that this has gone on this long. But the real deal is, the mistakes were made before, not after the spill started. The biggest mistake was not being prepared for a total catastrophe like this.  Clenched jaws after the fact might make a great photo op ... but they don't "plug the damn hole", nor do they increase the motivation of those responsible to plug the damn hole.  Believe me, they want the damn hole plugged at least as badly as anyone else does.

Of course, if any good comes out of this it will be that everyone has been made fully aware that deep water oil wells with lots of pressure behind them are really hard to plug when they break -- so let's have a plan and the equipment available when it does happen. Because it's gonna happen. It just shouldn't go on for 40 days. Or more.

No comments: