Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Primary Concern

Morgan pointed me to this, and I commented on that post on his blog. But I decided that it'd make a pretty good post of its own over here.

I got my sample ballot for next Tuesday. Fred Thompson is on it. I considered voting for him anyway. Now I am considering it more.

McCain is near or at the bottom of the rung as far as I’m concerned in the Republican Field. This is mostly because of his buying in to the AGW fraud (but then again, so has Bush, at least verbally) and his support of amnesty, no, really, amnesty -- for illegal aliens. And of course to a lesser degree, McCain-Feingold anti-free speech. At least he likes Justice Roberts and is a proponent of fighting Islamism. And I think he supports the second amendment with no “but”’s.

He has criticized Bush’s Iraq strategy without getting ugly about (a gentlemanly disagreement) it and he supports the general mission.

That all being said a vote for Thompson isn’t excactly going to take my vote away from someone else that I have strong feelings one way or another about. It’ll either take one away from … let’s face it, McCain or Romney — that’s who I’m left with after Rudy pulls out … and I really don’t care that much.

In the end, Thompson will release his delegates to whomever he thinks can win the general election. I suspect that will be McCain as they are reportedly friends.
So you’re right, a vote for Thompson in the primaries is not a bad idea. I suspect, though, that there aren’t enough of us who would do it to even show up as a blip on the radar. Not saying don’t do it. Just saying don’t get your hopes up too much.

On the other hand, a McCain/Thompson ticket might not be TOO bad, considering the choices.

No comments: