Friday, September 09, 2005

Al Queda's Agenda for Iraq and the US

You know ... I used to dismiss the rhetoric coming from Washington (Bush included) that Al Queda "hates us for our freedom". "Hates democracy."

I thought it was over-simplified pablum for the masses. I knew there was probably a grain of truth to it... but I figured it was overblown. I figured they were really talking about the extremely loose moral image we project -- because frankly, it's disturbing to me as well.

Well, I guess it wasn't. That is, wasn't over-simplified pablum for the masses.

I read about a book which was the subject of an article in the New York Post back in September.

It starts out thus:

September 4, 2003 -- 'IT is not the American war machine that should be of the utmost concern to Muslims. What threatens the future of Islam, in fact its very survival, is American democracy." This is the message of a new book, just published by al Qaeda in several Arab countries.

The author of "The Future of Iraq and The Arabian Peninsula After The Fall of Baghdad" is Yussuf al-Ayyeri, one of Osama bin Laden's closest associates since the early '90s. A Saudi citizen also known by the nom de guerre Abu Muhammad, he was killed in a gun battle with security forces in Riyadh last June.


I then read this New Yorker article -- which re-enforced the idea that the people who say it is about Islamic/Arab pride have indeed done their research and aren't just blowing hot air.

No comments: