Monday, November 06, 2006

Bandwagon

In 8th grade, our teacher ran us through a two or three week course on advertising techniques. At the time I thought it was an odd thing to teach in 8th grade. In retrospect, I think this was to tip us off to the angles advertisers use to get your brain to come around to thinking that you need their product.

The very first one was called "Bandwagon". Show that "everyone else" is buying it, "everyone else" thinks it's great, you should, too.

Propaganda is advertising.

Now not all advertising is dishonest. Nor is all propaganda. That's one thing I hate about today's political arguments. If you don't like it, you call it "propaganda" and dismiss it without having to address it's substance. Kind of like saying "extremists" or "conservatives".

More and more people are switching to....

More and more people are dissatisfied with the way Bush is handling the war. Ever increasing opposition to the war. Growing dissatisfaction with the Republican-held congress. For at least a couple of years.

If we repeat these things often enough and long enough, people -- in moments of weak mind, may start thinking -- man, if everyone else is thinking this, what's wrong with me? People crave other people's approval. If I make a "brave" anti-war statement, all those people will cheer and pat me on the back. I'll be in. People will look up to me.

News, the way it's gone since Bush II was first elected has been a 6 year Democratic Party infomercial.

1 comment:

mkfreeberg said...

Hmmm...I'm thinking I learned that one in tenth grade. With the benefit of hindsight, fifth grade would be the best.

I can see where the teachers are coming from. The hundredth time you ask for a "show of hands," and instead receive a "waggle of heads" as everybody checks out the consensus before doing anything with their hands...well, in that situation I would think anyone would conclude some kind of lecture is in order.