Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Theories

I find it odd that we have courts telling us what teachers can and can't mention in the classroom.

Do I think Public Schools should teach Intelligent Design as fact?

No.

Do I think teachers should be able to mention it as a theory? Well, it IS a theory. All we can say scientifically is that we have lots of evidence that evolution happens. Who is to say what the actual cause is behind genetic mutations. Random chance? Could be. Intelligent tinkering? Well, you can't prove otherwise, that's for sure.

So while I don't think it should be taught as "fact", people can and probably should mention it as a theory that a lot of people hold. I mean, it is possible. But to put a gag order on the subject? Aren't these the same people who are the first to howl about first amendment -- specifically free speech -- rights? Aren't these the same people who talk about the marketplace of ideas? Some people think this. Some people think that. Separate what we know for sure from what we don't. Life mutates. Fact. What causes it? Chemistry? Maybe. Does something direct the chemistry? I don't know. You don't either.

Do I believe in the Intelligent Design Theory? Not really. But I won't rule it out. Why the gag order?

I doubt the ACLU will be defending any teacher's right to say "and some people believe that the mutations are guided by an intelligent being."

Oops. Sorry Mr. Smith. You're fired.

No comments: