Saturday, November 24, 2012

Two Tales of Two Answers

When asked about the accuracy of the creation story, it turns out Barack Obama had essentially the same answer as Marco Rubio.

Embarrassed at his side being called out on this, David Graham tore off an article in the Atlantic entitled:

Let's Not Pretend Obama and Rubio Have The Same View on the Earth's Age

So let's see here ... what, exactly, would Graham's point be?

That they actually hold different viewpoints, but it's OK for Obama to lie about his in order to get elected?

That Obama and Rubio both agree that people should be able to hold different viewpoints but only the person whose viewpoint on the subject jives with his should be able to hold office?

That all this talk of the value, nay, the absolute necessity of "diversity" of cultures and beliefs is all bullshit, or it's only good if The Enlightened Ones™ such as he are allowed to be in charge? (note this is the same thing as saying all cultures and beliefs are equal is all bullshit).

That Rubio's adherence to Adam Smith's theory of human economic behavior -- which is observable -- is comparable to his belief in the events surrounding creation -- which are not?

There are definitely two measuring sticks here. One for Marxist Secular Progressives, and one for Free Market Christian Conservatives.

For the record, I don't think the Earth is only 5,000 years old.  But I'll not deny that it could be and we really can't find out for sure.   Either story is ultimately a matter of faith in one thing or another, and I recognize that.  And so, apparently, do Obama ... and Rubio.

For reference, here are those answers.  You be the judge.

To Rubio December 2012 issue of GQ

Q: How old do you think the Earth is?
A: I’m not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that’s a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I’m not a scientist. I don’t think I’m qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to answer that. It’s one of the great mysteries.  

To Obama.  Messiah College in Grantham, Pa. on April 13, 2008
Q: Senator, if one of your daughters asked you—and maybe they already have—“Daddy, did god really create the world in 6 days?,” what would you say?


A: What I've said to them is that I believe that God created the universe and that the six days in the Bible may not be six days as we understand it … it may not be 24-hour days, and that's what I believe. I know there's always a debate between those who read the Bible literally and those who don't, and I think it's a legitimate debate within the Christian community of which I'm a part. My belief is that the story that the Bible tells about God creating this magnificent Earth on which we live—that is essentially true, that is fundamentally true. Now, whether it happened exactly as we might understand it reading the text of the Bible: That, I don't presume to know.

No comments: