Friday, October 26, 2007

favorite musician whose politics you disagree with the most

Slate asked Huckabee this question at the end of an interview.
Slate: Who is your favorite musician whose politics you disagree with the most?

Huckabee: I love John Mellencamp's music. I think he may be on a different page politically. There are a lot of musicians whose politics I don't agree with. But there's no crying in baseball, and no politics in music.
This has been a problem I've struggled with since I'm a huge music fan, and as far as Rock goes it's the late 1960's - early 1970's that figure most prominently. I'm a Grateful Dead fan. Crosby, Stills, & Nash are freaking awesome. And Bonnie Raitt breaks my heart. Her first two albums were primo, and then Nick of Time and Fundamental were also great albums (not that there wasn't a lot of good stuff in between).

So it does bug me a little that she believes ... so much differently than I do. At least Crosby and I have the Second Amendment in common. Well for all I know Bonnie might, too. But I don't know.

Unfortunately, there is politics in music, and sometimes I don't agree with those politics. It seems more often than not. On the other hand I really want to like Ted Nugent's music and I just can't get in to it.

Still, I like a lot of his politics.

So I guess I'll just listen on. But for some reason I still can't bring myself to listen to the Dixie Chicks anymore. And I was really starting to like them.

No comments: