Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Things I Know #19

I ran into this young lady this morning on her bicycle with her trumpet case in her handlebar basket. She wanted to know how to get to the stadium. Freshman. Marching band practice.

I directed her, and she thanked me and said, "I'm already late."

I run into this a lot in the younger generation. I think it's because they've relied on their parents all their lives to make sure they got where they were supposed to go by the time they were supposed to be there all their lives (or made excuses for them when they failed).

I wanted to say this to her, but I have a feeling it would have gone right over her -- or that she would not have appreciated the advice. Too "negative", I suppose.

This led me to Things I Know #19.
When you have to be somewhere by a certain time in the morning, make sure you know how to get there before you go to bed the night before.
It takes a little effort, but so does figuring it out in the morning. Under pressure. So it's worth it in the end.

She seemed sweet. Hope she learns.

No comments: